PROFESSIONAL ERRORS AND OMISSIONS LIABILITY INSURANCE Professional errors and omissions liability insurance, also known as professional indemnity is a form of liability insurance that protects professionals from bearing the full costs associated with any damages that may arise as a result of negligence or any claims made by the clients.
The coverage focuses on the actual and alleged failure to perform on the part, either as a loss, omission or error in the course of service delivery. In some instances, the policy will cover defense cases, especially where legal cases are groundless.
Professional liability insurance takes various forms depending on the profession. For people in the medical field, it is known as the malpractice insurance. Insurance agents, lawyers, brokers and accountants will call it errors and omissions insurance.
The Rationale Behind The Policy
The professional liability insurance aims at responding to claims such as personal, property and bodily injuries. Some of the common claims covered under this policy include negligence and violation of good faith.
Common Pitfalls to Avoid
It is possible and easy to have an inadequate policy may under insure you and offer cheaper premiums. Not many people are in a position to clearly understand the terms and conditions stipulated in the contract. If you are planning on purchasing a new policy or you are not sure about your current policy, the following tips will help:
1. Ensure you understand the drawbacks inherent in some of the policies
2. Carefully understand and analyze the policy language defining the notice, claims and reporting requirements.
3. Have an understanding of the best practices in the bid to preserve the coverage and minimize coverage disputes.
4. Seek of the help of a professional if need be.
Why You Need It
You should consider having the errors and omissions if the business:
1. Provides professional services
2. Regularly gives advice
3. It is a requirement by the clients to have an E&O cover
What is Covered?
1. Actual or alleged negligence - Acts of errors and omissions as a result of claims of negligence in the course of offering professional services such as making mistakes or giving wrong advice will be compensated.
2. Defense costs- If a client charges a professional on groundless facts, the cover will cover the litigation.
3. Personal Injury- Any injury that may arise while rendering professional services is covered under the policy.
4. Worldwide errors and omissions insurance coverage- It covers those doing international businesses.
5. Copyright infringement-This would apply to those dealing with IT and software.
6. Temporary staff and independent contractors-The policy cover claims that may arise from business related services offered by independent and temporary staff
7. Claims and Damages- Claims that may cause financial loss or damage to the professional or his/her practice is covered in the policy. Claims and damages arising from services provided in the past.
What is not covered?
1. Property damage and bodily injury
2. Employment matters
3. Fraudulent acts
4. False advertising
5. Patent and trade secrets
6. Personally identifiable information
7. Other services not specified in the contract
Factors to consider while choosing a service provider
1. Tailored coverage-The insurer should be in a position to offer customized services based on the needs of the professional.
2. Passion for service-The agents should be knowledgeable and provide exceptional services.
3. Coverage for contract-The E&O contract should meet the insurance needs of their clients. Also, it should be easily understood.
4. Fast and simple-The agent should be simple and straightforward in his/her dealings
6. Reasonable premiums- seek the services who offer reasonable premium rates. It should not be too high or too low.
7. Professionalism and competency-They should handle their clients with a lot of professionalism.
The above tips will be of great importance when going for this kind of cover, but always consult an expert whenever something is not clear.
RED CROSS DAY OF PINK - April 9, 2014
The Canadian Red Cross and SaskEnergy believe that every child should be treated with respect. This means we take a stand against bullying every day.
April 9, 2014 is Red Cross Day of Pink, a day to celebrate respect and to encourage others to join the movement. Will you stand with us and thousands of others across the province by wearing pink, walking in pink parades, cheering at pink rallies and showing the world that we can imagine no bullying?
Please go this link to find out more about "Day of Pink" and join all of us in promoting anti-bullying in our region. www.redcross.ca/PinkSK
ENGAGING PARENTS IN RESOURCES
This is one in a series of Best Start Resource Centre "How To" resources that focus on skill development to help service providers address specific strategies for preconception, prenatal and child health.
CLICK HERE to download the guide
REASONS FOR TEETH WHITENING
Many individuals avail services for teeth whitening in Calgary. However, some are still skeptical about or on the edge about getting their teeth whiten. If you are one of these people, you are not alone.
Fact is, professional teeth whitening ranks first in cosmetic service people request for in dental clinics. The number of people wanting their teeth whitened continues to increase. This is because no one wants their teeth to look like raw corn.
1. Teeth whitening eliminates stains caused by food or colored drinks like soda, wine and coffee. It also removes stains caused by smoking. Discolorations from foods and drinks cannot be removed solely by brushing teeth so for the tough stains, teeth whitening is your best bet.
2. Having your teeth whitened helps you quit smoking. If you have been meaning to stop your smoking habits, availing this service from your dentist helps significantly. Because you are paying to make your teeth look better, you will have the urge to stop yourself from smoking so you wouldn't have to spoil your new whitened teeth.
3. Some people having teeth whitening in Calgary do so for special occasions. Are you going to an important event? Pretty clothes, shoes and accessories may not be enough to make you feel beautiful. White teeth can complete your look.
4. Boost your confidence in job interviews with white teeth. If you are confident, you will be able to go through the interview more smoothly. Also, a great smile helps in creating first impressions.
5. White teeth make you more self-assured. People tend to be more conscious about themselves if they have less than perfect teeth. However, if your teeth are bright you fell more assured of yourself.
6. Older individuals need teeth whitening even more. Why? Aging contributes to teeth discoloration. Sometimes, no matter how often you brush your teeth, your teeth will still darken. Professional teeth whitening can eliminate this discoloration caused by aging.
7. Teeth whitening is non-surgical. A lot are afraid to go to the dentists because they are afraid of surgical services. However, teeth whitening isn't surgery. In fact, it is pain free and risk free.
8. You will be more motivated to take care of your teeth and overall dental health. Studies have shown that people who invest on better teeth health are more caring of their oral hygiene. Therefore, if you start having this service at the dental clinic, you will be more inspired to invest time in caring for your teeth.
9. Teeth whitening is cheaper compared to other procedures. Many dentists offer discounted teeth whitening options. You could window shop in your area for the best offer you could get.
FEDERAL ANNOUNCEMENT "The Federal government is investing $241 million in new funding to help First Nation youth between the ages of 18-24 get personalized job and skills training. These investments will be targeted to First Nation youth receiving Income Assistance, providing them with access to a wider, more personalized range of training, education and career counseling programs that will help them get jobs." See press release below.
REVISED - INDIVIDUAL KIDSPORT APPLICATION FORM
At the last Provincial KidSport Committee Meeting, the topic of revising the Individual Application forms was discussed. With feedback obtained from the last KidSport Provincial Conference, the Provincial KidSport Committee decided to revise the Individual Application form to simplify the understanding for applying to the program. The revised Individual Application forms also provide a fresh new look.
The new Individual Application forms are now posted on the KidSport website (www.kidsport.ca/sk ). Simply click on the "New Applications Forms now available" link on the right hand side of the home page to be redirected to the "How to Apply" page. Once there, simply scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the name of your Local Committee to download the new forms.
Please destroy your current Individual Application forms and begin to distribute the new forms within your community. The goal is to have the new application forms in circulation prior to the fall/winter sport season. If you or your Local KidSport Committee has any questions pertaining to the new Individual Application forms, please contact the Provincial KidSport Office anytime.
COMMUNITIES OF HOPE DOCUMENT - WITH SCHOOL PLUS FRAMEWORK Effective Practices for Meeting the Diverse Learning Needs
of Children and Youth
2. As part of the Canadian Active After School Partnership (CAASP), PHE Canada announced a new Active Living After School initiative developed to assist after school program administrators in delivering quality programs. Initiative resources include a How-to Guide and an Activity Kit of equipment. Canadian Tire JumpStart, as the official equipment supplier, will fund the entire cost of the Kit for a limited number of eligible communities. Register today for a chance to infuse your programs with new teaching resources and equipment!
Helmet Fitting Video & Free Resources Safe Kids Canada is in the course of merging with Safe Communities, Think First and Smartrisk. With the finalization of this process approaching, we would like to let all partners know that we will be clearing out our supply of paper resources, and that Safe Kids Canada paper resources may not be available after the summer. For this reason, we encourage you to visit our order centre, and place your request for paper resources as soon as possible. We have many hard copies of resources still available, such as our Kids That Click bilingual brochure, Safe Roads, and Home Safe Home. Regular shipping policy will apply to all orders (resources are all free of cost, orders of over 200 resources will have to pay shipping).
We are also excited to let you know about a new helmet fitting video that we made! You can see it now on our YouTube channel. Please take a look and pass this through your networks. A great educational tool for the summer!
In 2010-11, the community of Prince Albert formed a committee with funds accessed through the Sask Smart Innovations Fund - Ministry of Education to work on a Community Literacy Plan. Among the developments coming out of the plan was a curriculum designed to make the connection between Health and Learning. Included in the package are the following elements:
1. Lesson Plans appropriate for Division 1, 2 or 3 levels Titled "My Body, My Mind", exploring the connection between Health and Learning. This resource would be appropriate for use in Health, Phys Ed, or could be adapted to any stream - useful during Nutrition Month. There are options for family participation and feedback. Download these files below.
| Div 1 Levels | | Div 2 Levels | | Div 3 Levels |
2. Winning Poster Compilation
The community hosted a poster competition for schools to introduce the lesson plans. There were winners in each of the 3 Division categories. The criteria stated that students would illustrate how they made the connection between Health and Learning (as per the lesson plans). The top winner in each division category received a prize and special recognigion at a community celebration. The winning posters were compiled and can be printed (8.5 x 17 paper) and posted or used as a resource with your lesson plans. Click here to download
3. My Body, My Mind Poster - Color or Black & White option
There are 4 simple, but profound talking points that comprise the focus of the lesson plans - these are illustrated in this poster and can be printed to post or use with the lesson plans.
Click here to download
4. Healthy Lifestyles Bingo Game -
For student and/or family. The lesson plans refer to the healthy lifestyles bingo game for students and/or families to use. Click here to download
For more information on the lesson plans or the resources, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org